Founded in 1973 as a family run business, Keith Butters Limited originally traded mainly as a supplier of indoor and outdoor plants to UK Garden Centres.
The business developed by focusing on the supply of plants to the major high street supermarkets and DIY outlets such as Marks & Spencer, J Sainsbury, Tesco, Waitrose, ASDA and B&Q. As e-commerce expanded with the growth of the internet, so Butters' range continued to develop, and we now supply many of the leading on-line retailers including Marks and Spencer, J Sainsbury, Interflora and Next with their plant arrangements. In 2006 the company further extended its offer to include a range of bulbs – business that has subsequently grown rapidly. And in 2011 we invested heavily in new glasshouse and pack-house facilities, effectively adding two whole new divisions to the business.
Butters has consistently grown year-on-year and now has annual sales of £40m.
In 2007 the business was acquired by Advantage Capital, a UK private equity firm, in conjunction with the management team. This investment in the business has enabled Butters Group to realise our ambitions, build on our market-leading position and establish ourselves as a major player in the horticulture sector.
Butters specialise in:
- Plants (indoor, outdoor and bulbs)
- Cut flowers (home-grown and imports) and ready-made bouquets
- Containers (sourced directly from the Far East and across Europe)
- Innovation and creativity (Gift and self purchase solutions)
- Multiple retail focus
- Home delivery solutions
- BOPP Standard - awarded both for the plants site and the flower packing site
- Now working towards BOPP grower accreditation at the new nursery
- FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) accreditation for use of sustainable wood and paper
- Working towards LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming)